Canopy plants and cares for trees where people need them the most.
is to bring the life-giving benefits of trees to the schools, neighborhoods, and public spaces of the San Francisco Mid-Peninsula.
is a day when every resident of the Mid-Peninsula can step outside to walk, play, and thrive under the shade of healthy trees.
Read about Canopy’s impact and recent accomplishments.
Canopy’s “SPARK” approach involves:
- Stewardship: Our rigorous approach to tree care and maintenance—always engaging the community—ensures high rates of tree survival and longevity.
- Planting: Using precise tree planting techniques we ensure healthy, long-lived trees.
- Advocacy: We uphold and promote policies and funding that protect trees and promote a healthy urban forest.
- Relationships: Our dynamic partnerships with communities, municipalities, schools and peer organizations protect and promote trees.
- Knowledge: We create life-long environmental stewards through exploration and education about trees and tree care.
Canopy’s diverse programs include:
- Tree Planting: Expanding our urban forest. Canopy recently completed a major initiative to plant 1,000 trees on underserved school campuses. Now we’re working on the next thousand.
- Tree Care: Tending our young and mature community trees.
- Tree Walks: Inspiring people of all ages to explore and appreciate the urban forest.
- Events and Workshops: Engaging the community and sharing the latest in arboriculture science.
- Youth Engagement and School Programs: Inspiring the next generation of environmental stewards.
- Urban Forest Advocacy: Working with public and private agencies to protect our forest as a whole.
- Community Services: Providing guidance and advice for City of Palo Alto programs, and mentoring other organizations.
Canopy manages all these programs with a small professional staff, dedicated board, community partners, and hundreds of volunteers. Read more about Canopy’s approach in our Strategic Plan Summary.
As a professional organization engaged in national and local best practices, we are proud to be partners with Cal Fire, California ReLeaf, and the Alliance for Community Trees (ACT).
If you have been a volunteer, supporter, or recipient of our work, please write a review about us on Great Nonprofits, or join our Facebook community to share your experience with others.
Canopy Logos for web use:
Email email@example.com for other logo or photographic needs.